Link to Profile Semperoper, Dresden Sieg (auf dem Siegesäule), Berlin Brandenburg Tor, Berlin Skyline, Frankfurt am Main

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Things I Wish Were Easier to Find in Germany #007
Plain Old Saltine Crackers

When you have the flu, cold, whatever, bland with a little salt is ok. I can nibble on these or let them go mushy in my chicken soup. Germans don't seem to have anything quite like the good old plain saltine. The nearest German equivalent is Zwieback, which look like miniature pieces of white-bread toast but with a totally wrong taste and consistency for my liking, and no salt to boot.

I haven't found plain saltines in Germany, but like so many other things (gel deodorant and cinnamon flavored mouthwash being a couple of examples) we Americans know and love, you can find them in France. Funny, No?

4 Comments:

Blogger Maribeth said...

I was in Athens many years ago now, and I got the worst case of the flu ever. All I wanted was ginger ale and saltines. Ha! I might have wanted to be a triathalete too but I wasn't going to be a triathalete and I wasn't going to get the ginger ale and saltines either.
Or so I thought.
I told the nice Concierge what I wanted and he must have searched the entire city because after two hours he came back with the two things that made me feel ever so much better.

8:30 PM, October 22, 2006  
Blogger christina said...

I could swear I saw saltines the other day but do you think I can remember where? I was so surprised that I forgot to buy any. If I find them again I'll send you some for the next time you fall deathly ill. Hope it doesn't last too long this time though.

9:47 PM, October 23, 2006  
Blogger Mike B said...

Maribeth: Must be an American thing, these saltines.

Christina: Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I will look more closely next time I am at the store. But I can always use an excuse to shop in France ....

8:56 PM, October 28, 2006  
Blogger christina said...

Aha! I just saw an ad in a magazine yesterday for some Wasa (you know, the Swedish comapany that makes Knäckebrot) crackers that looked suspiciously like saltines - will have to check out the supermarket shelves, although it takes our local market at least 6 months to introduce anything new.
Glad you're feeling better. Don't let those long working hours get you.

8:18 PM, October 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home